Linux Server - Players Don't Save

• Hi,

Today I got my server running on my linux machine and everything was running smoothly.

However, when players log out and log back in, they have to make a new character. This happens every time.

I've tried to solve this by adding additional options such as ServerHardcore=false and saving the server manually via the in game console. None of these have worked.

Currently I'm starting the server with these options:

Bash: server_start.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    ./ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer TheIsland?QueryPort=27015?listen?SessionName=xxxx?MaxPlayers=50?ServerAdminPassword=xxxx?ServerPVE=true?ServerCrosshair=true?AllowThirdPersonPlayer=true?MapPlayerLocation=true?ServerHardcore=false -server -log

I don't really know what else to do. I'm not sure if the server is logging anything at all as I can't find any logs.

Thanks in advance :)

• Thanks LynxX :)

After the update I'm getting the same problem so I'll post what I put up on another forum for how to run the game in screen, in case anyone is browsing and needs it :)

I'm a bit of a noob on linux so it might be better to wait to see if someone more experienced thinks what I'm doing isn't stupid.

First of all, I've read that you should never run your server as root, so log into an ssh account that isn't root.

Code
    sudo screen

then fill in your password. This should open a screen session.

Code
    ./server_start.sh

this way runs the task as the user on my machine so I guess I'd recommend this.

There's another way of doing it, I got this method from the tf2 wiki. However, it runs the process as root so I'm not sure if it's the best to be using.

Code
    sudo screen -m -S ark ./server_start.sh

it then prompts you for a password, fill that in and wait a couple of minutes and your server should be running nicely.

If you want to check that your server is running and under what user, use this

Code

or

Code
    htop

Then, of course, if you want to kill your server, make sure to save it via the in game console, then use the PID of ShooterGameServ...like this:

Code
    kill -KILL <PID>
    e.g. kill -KILL 12345

I hope this helps. Btw, if anyone has any better way of shutting down a server that auto saves it, I'd like to know about it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!